Outside of the two times a year you (should) clean your gutters, it’s likely that you’re not taking a peek at them to see what’s going on. However, if you start hearing scurrying noises, or notice an uptick in bugs- you should investigate.
Many critters love to hide in gutters for various reasons- and it’s great to be prepared for what you may encounter.
Unsurprisingly, your gutters could be home to many different critters. Especially as temperatures drop, and there’s a buildup of wet leaves.
Some bugs that could be making your gutter their home are:
– Termites. You can tell if there are termites, if there are holes in your wood, or if the wood is spongy.
– Bees such as hornets or wasps. The most telltale sign is that you will likely see the bees, and their nests. Often their nests are in corners, so make sure you get a close look- but not too close!
– Mosquitos. Where there is stagnant water, there are mosquitos.
Animals love to take shelter in gutters since they offer shelter, protection from rain, and can be a good basis for building their home. While these animals can be cute, they are, without a doubt, causing damage to your gutters- which will, in turn, damage your home. Some of these sneaky little critters can be tough to spot- below are a few animals to keep an eye out for (and some signs that they’re there)!
– Mice and rats. Most rodents will build their nest in the downspouts because it’s tighter and more secluded.
– Squirrels and chipmunks. The telltale sign of these animals is hearing their scratches and noises.
– Birds. They often build their nests in your gutters, so you will see their nest and hear their chirps!
There are a few options to prevent birds and other critters, but the most effective way is to install gutter guards. At Bell Seamless Gutters, we not only offer and install gutter guards, but our gutters are in one smooth piece to custom-fit your home.
Seamless gutters don’t clog, allowing up to 50% more water flow, and come in a wide range of color options. We have more than 60 years of industry experience, additional specialties, different color options, and offer rainwater collection services! To find out more or inquire about our services, visit us online or call us at 1-800-597-1616.
The post What Could Be Hiding In Your Gutters? appeared first on Bell Seamless Gutters.