Moving into a new home is exciting, and it’s also a lot of work! Once you get settled in, we recommend turning your attention to some simple home maintenance tasks that can save you time and money and improve your safety and comfort. Most take just a few minutes or a quick call to a trusted professional.
The Best Home Maintenance Tips for Saving Money
- Check the attic insulation. It’s crucial to have at least six inches of attic insulation to prevent the loss of heated and cooled air. If your new home doesn’t have enough insulation, a professional contractor can easily add more. Refer to ENERGY STAR® guidelines to find out the recommended insulation levels for your area.
- Clean out the gutters. Check your gutter system to determine if it needs to be cleared of leaves and debris. Overflowing gutters and downspouts that don’t drain properly can wreak havoc on the integrity of your home’s structure and lead to expensive repairs.
- Install gutter guards. With Gutter Helmet® gutter guards installed by certified professionals, you can forget about climbing ladders and risking personal injury. The patented design permanently stops clogged gutters by keeping out leaves, twigs, needles and other debris, making it the best gutter protection system around.
- Check the smoke detectors. Test all the smoke detectors in your house to ensure they’re in good working condition and will alert you if the need arises. In most homes, there should be at least one smoke detector on every floor and near every bedroom. Consider putting in fresh batteries, and get into the habit of changing the batteries every time you adjust your clocks.
- Upgrade light bulbs. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) use 75% less energy than standard light bulbs and last about 10 times longer, while LEDs use 25-30% less energy and last eight to 25 times longer than halogen incandescents. Upgrade all the bulbs in your home to CFLs or LEDs and you’ll start saving on energy immediately.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Save on heating and cooling by using a thermostat that allows you to select your preferred day and night temperatures and has a setting for every day of the week.
Protect Your Home With a Gutter Helmet® System
Of the aforementioned maintenance tips, installing a Gutter Helmet protection system on your home is one of the best ways to protect it. To read about the experiences of some of our satisfied customers, take a look at the Gutter Helmet reviews on our website. When you’re ready to learn more, give us a call at (800) 824-3772 or submit our online form to request your free quote!
The post After You Move In: Money-Saving Maintenance Tips for a New Home appeared first on Gutter Helmet.