Cooler nights are a timely reminder for homeowners who have yet to prepare for the frigid temperatures and massive amounts of snowfall that are always a possibility in many regions of the country. Gutter Helmet suggests you begin by having a professional clean out your gutters and downspouts and install rain gutter covers to prevent further accumulation of leaves and debris. A clear gutter system ensures that rain and snowmelt won’t cause damage to any areas on or around your home. Gutter Helmet® rain gutter guard has been specially engineered to channel water while preventing buildup, saving you the expense of gutter maintenance and repairs.
Important Steps to Increase Your Home’s Safety & Energy Efficiency
In addition to gutter care, there are other steps you can take to maximize the efficiency of your home this winter and protect it from damage.
- Have an HVAC professional clean and tune up your furnace. This will help it run more efficiently and use less energy over the winter.
- To reduce ice dams, have a roofing professional inspect your attic or crawl space to make sure there’s an adequate amount of insulation and ventilation. Warm indoor air that escapes into the attic can melt snow on the roof and lead to ice dams.
- Check each window to make certain it’s completely closed and securely locked. Fill in gaps around window frames with caulk.
- Caulk gaps around pipes, cables and wires that go into your home. Insulate exposed pipes around the exterior and pipes in crawl spaces that don’t have adequate insulation.
- Turn off the water supply to all outdoor faucets and sprinkler systems. Drain the pipes and disconnect and store garden hoses.
- Trim back dead and damaged tree limbs that could be broken by wind, snow or ice. This is especially important for trees near your home.
Learn More About Gutter Protection Products
Find out how much Gutter Helmet costs and learn how a Helmet Heat® ice reduction system can protect your home year-round by calling our toll-free number at (800) 824-3772. You can also contact us via our online form.
The post 6 Steps to Prepare Your Home for Wintry Weather appeared first on Gutter Helmet.