Ice is one of the biggest nuisances for homeowners in the winter. Whether it creates slick sidewalks or icicles hanging from the gutters, ice poses a serious threat to your home and to your safety, as well as that of your family. Ice that builds up along the roofline and in the gutters can lead to ice damming, which can result in costly damage to both the interior and the exterior of your home.
Smart Deicing Solutions
If slippery walkways and ice damming are a concern for you, there are several deicing solutions you can try. Here are some of the most common options.
- Heating cables. A heating cable is a heavy-duty electrical cord that gets hot enough to melt snow and ice. Most companies install heating cables in a zigzag pattern along the eaves of the roof, which can be unsightly.
- Heat tape. Heat tape is very similar to a heating cable, and is designed to create an opening under the ice dam just big enough to allow any water that’s trapped above the dam to drain off the roof. Heat tape can only melt a small area of ice around the tape, however, so a gutter full of ice will stay full of ice. And if the downspout is blocked, you’re in a jam.
- Heated mesh. Heated mesh is installed under the shingles, not on top of them. The installation of heated mesh needs to be done at the same time the roof is installed for best results. If you don’t need a new roof, this isn’t a viable option.
- Heated pans. Ice dams can cover large areas on low-slope roofs and cause major leaks without ever forming icicles. A pan is a type of metal flashing that covers a protrusion in a roof, so a heated pan will melt ice on that section. However, it won’t help with ice damming in other areas.
- Helmet Heat®. Helmet Heat is an innovative, self-regulating gutter heating cable that warms up only when needed, making it not only effective, but energy-efficient as well. Helmet Heat installs inside Gutter Helmet® gutter guards, so there are no unsightly wires that could become a fire hazard or cause damage to your roof. Contact us to learn more about why Helmet Heat is your best option.
Request a Free Helmet Heat® Estimate Today
If you’re interested in a smart, simple solution to ice buildup on and around your home, give the experts at Gutter Helmet a call. We’ll arrange for a local dealer to provide you with a free estimate on Helmet Heat heated gutters.
The post 5 De Icing Options for Roofs & How They Rate appeared first on Gutter Helmet.