Rainwater harvesting is the practice of collecting and storing rainwater run-off from a roof or other surface for future use. The rain collects in the gutters, travels down the downspouts and is then channeled into a barrel or other container for storage until it’s needed.
Thanks to better environmental awareness and the green building movement, rainwater harvesting systems have become increasingly popular in the United States. This is good timing because the reality is that the water we need to run our households and businesses is in very short supply in many parts of the country. Thus, rainwater harvesting just makes good sense.
The Benefits of Rainwater Collection
- When used in conjunction with a Gutter Helmet® gutter guard system that filters out leaves and debris, the rainwater will be clean and ready to use for any non-potable need.
- The water is free.
- Water is conserved, which reduces demand on local wells and municipal supplies.
- The use of stored water cannot be restricted by your town or city.
- Rainwater harvesting can be an excellent back-up source of water in emergencies.
- Rainwater collection systems can be established almost anywhere in urban, suburban and rural areas.
- Collection systems are simple to set up and can easily be expanded, reconfigured or relocated when necessary.
- Unchlorinated rainwater is better for plants and gardens.
- Rainwater harvesting reduces stormwater runoff, which can cause erosion and water pollution.
- Rainwater collection can solve drainage problems on your property.
For every 1,000 square feet of surface area, you can expect to harvest around 600 gallons of water per inch of rain that falls. Get more details on calculating and planning for a rainwater harvesting system from the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service.
Gutter Helmet® & Rainwater Collection Systems Help the Environment
For information about how to incorporate Gutter Helmet® rain gutter covers in your rainwater harvesting system, call (800) 824-3772 for a free, no-obligation consultation. Before you know it, you’ll be saving money on your water bill and benefiting Mother Nature at the same time with the help of the best gutter guards around!
The post 10 Benefits of Rainwater Harvesting for Urban & Rural Homes appeared first on Gutter Helmet.