Sunny spring and summer days are perfect for making exterior home improvements. To use your time and money wisely, it’s important to choose projects that are low-maintenance and provide a good return on investment. By investing in the following exterior upgrades, you’ll be able to reduce your ongoing home maintenance demands, which will also shorten that never-ending honey-do list!
Smart Exterior Home Improvements
- Fiber cement siding. Fiber cement siding – which is made of a mixture of sand, wood fiber and Portland cement – never rots and resists expansion and contraction as the weather changes. That means less caulking and painting for you. Fiber cement may be warranted for up to 50 years.
- Vinyl siding. Vinyl siding is the most affordable siding material. It’s about 20-40% cheaper than fiber cement, never needs painting and resists rot and insects. Because it’s lightweight and easy to install, the installation costs for vinyl are low. It has an estimated lifespan of 35 years.
- Metal roofing. Metal continues to gain traction as a popular roofing material. While asphalt shingles begin deteriorating after 20-30 years, a metal roof can perform two to three times longer with almost no maintenance required. It’s inherently resistant to fire, impact and high winds, which means fewer repairs.
- Composite decking. Forget staining and sealing — synthetic composite decking is the ultimate choice for a low-maintenance, long-lasting deck with the look and feel of wood. Composites are highly durable and resistant to insects and rot.
- Gutter guards. Gutter guard systems prevent debris from settling in gutters, keep out pests and protect your home from serious water damage. They fit over existing gutters, so there’s no need for gutter replacement. With a quality metal gutter cover, you can enjoy the freedom of never having to clean your gutters again.
- Landscaping. There are many options for low-maintenance landscaping if you utilize native plants that don’t require a lot of watering and pruning. In addition, healthy native plants create an environment that attracts a diverse array of birds and butterflies. You can get great tips on landscaping with native plants from nurseries in your area.
Install a Gutter Helmet® System on Your Home
Gutter Helmet has the best gutter guards around! To find out how our exceptional system can benefit your gutters — and your home as a whole — give us a call today at (800) 824-3772 or submit our online form.
The post Exterior Remodeling Choices That Will Shorten Your Honey-Do List appeared first on Gutter Helmet.