Of the tens of thousands of gutter systems that Gutter Helmet® installers install and care for each year, a certain number sustain damage or suffer defects caused by improper installation or inadequate maintenance. This is a problem, because the longevity and long-term integrity of a home is dependent on the effectiveness of its rain gutter system.
Common Gutter Problems
Below is a list of some of the most common and troublesome gutter problems:
- Clogged gutters. Clogs cause water to back up in the gutter trough and frequently overflow, causing erosion on the roof and resulting in standing water that’s a breeding ground for insects, as well as damage to the foundation and siding if the issue isn’t addressed promptly.
- Poor downspout placement. If you don’t have enough downspouts or they aren’t placed properly, this can cause overflowing gutters and standing water during heavy downpours. If it is allowed to flow off a roof unimpeded, water can leak into your home via the trim, siding, windows, doors, foundation and other spots. This can cause mildew and mold, rot, structural damage and landscape erosion.
- Overgrown gutters. If vines and trees are allowed to encroach on gutters, they can become blocked to the point that the gutters no longer function. The consequences of this issue include window and door, gutter, roof, siding and structural damage, as well as insect problems.
- A lack of drains or splash blocks. When water runs down the downspouts, it must be carried safely away from the house via a splash block or underground pipe. Otherwise, the ground around your home will become saturated with water. This can result in mold and mildew growth, a flooded basement and cracks in your foundation.
- No flashing at the eaves. Without metal flashing to protect the bare wood between the roof’s support structure and the gutters, wood is exposed to the elements, which can lead to possible insect infestations and rot.
- Improper pitch. Gutters must be pitched properly to enable water to flow to the downspouts. If the gutter pitch isn’t adequate, standing water can be the result. As previously mentioned, this can result in damage to the gutter support system, gutter deterioration, insect proliferation and potential damage to the house from overflowing gutters.
Contact Gutter Helmet Today
Taking into account the amount of damage that can occur, it’s important not to overlook the importance of an effective gutter system. Consider investing in a solid gutter protection system like Gutter Helmet® to keep out animals, leaves, debris and a host of other things that can interfere with your gutters. Gutter Helmet has the best gutter protection products around and offers a Triple Lifetime Warranty. Instead of searching for “gutter guard companies near me,” go with our pros by calling (800) 824-3772.
The post 7 Rain Gutter System Problems to Watch Out For appeared first on Gutter Helmet.