Every homeowner wants to enhance the value of their home, especially if they plan to sell it in the near future. But you may not be able to afford to make expensive upgrades or major additions. In this case, there are things you can do to improve certain areas of your home to make them more practical for you and/or more attractive to buyers — all without busting your budget.
How to Raise Your Home’s Value Without Breaking the Bank
Each of the following five entries has a handful of suggested projects. Don’t feel that you have to do all of them; choosing one or two will help keep costs down while still making a noticeable difference. Many don’t require professional help and some can be completed in just a few hours.
- Update your kitchen. Have you ever noticed that no matter what the rest of the house looks like, family members and guests tend to congregate in the kitchen? That’s why you want to make sure that this room is sharp and presentable. You don’t have to change every aspect of your kitchen but making a few strategic changes can really bolster its appearance and functionality. Some recommendations include:
- Installing new cabinet door handles and/or drawer knobs.
- Painting, resurfacing or replacing cabinet doors and boxes.
- Purchasing a new kitchen faucet.
- Replacing outdated light fixtures with newer, more energy-efficient ones.
- Ordering new face panels or doors for appliances.
- Add more storage. One thing that often goes unnoticed by interior designers is the desire for more storage. Since families today tend to accumulate a lot of stuff, finding a home with plenty of storage is often high on the list of priorities for homebuyers. People who are thinking about moving often dread having to downsize, so providing them with additional areas for storage might give your home an advantage over others. Here are some storage ideas:
- Purchase DIY laminate and wire closet systems to better organize entry closets, pantries and bedrooms.
- Put shelves in crawl spaces.
- Deck attics and crawl spaces with plywood.
- Install cabinetry and shelving along the sides and on the ceiling of your garage.
- Turn an office into a bedroom by drywalling a custom closet system.
- Freshen up your bathroom. Baths and half baths are among the most important rooms to update in your home. Bathrooms in older homes tend not to accommodate the needs of today’s homeowners. Again, a few upgrades can go a long way, so you should think about doing the following:
- Installing a pedestal sink in a half bath.
- Buying new toilet seats.
- Replacing the flooring with new vinyl tiles or sheeting.
- Regrouting or replacing shower or bathtub tiles.
- Installing a prefabricated shower or tub surround.
- Improve the flooring. Take a hard look at the carpeting in your common areas. Is it stained, worn or fraying? Do wood floors look shabby as well? You shouldn’t necessarily replace your flooring; not only will it be expensive, but potential homebuyers may not like the colors or textures you choose. Here’s what you can do instead:
- Have all carpeting professionally cleaned.
- Restain wood floors.
- Cover less attractive areas of carpeting or flooring with area rugs.
- Boost curb appeal. You never get a second chance to make a first impression and with homebuyers, this equals curb appeal. While it’s impractical to give the front of your home a complete facelift, there are some little things you can do to vastly improve your home’s appearance from the outside, such as:
- Mowing, weeding and fertilizing the front lawn.
- Sweeping the front walkway and driveway.
- Planting shrubs or flowering plants in the front yard.
- Using sod or mulch to create a flower bed or two.
- Cleaning or repairing your gutters and downspouts and adding Gutter Helmet® gutter guards.
- Repainting or restaining the front door and entry area.
- Replacing the front door handle and lock set.
Follow these guidelines and your home will be sold before you know it!
Gutter Helmet®: The Trusted Name in Gutter Protection
To learn how Gutter Helmet’s gutter protection service can add to your home’s curb appeal, give us a call today at (800) 824-3772 or contact us online. We’ll be happy to fill you in on all the benefits of our exceptional gutter protection system!
The post 5 Easy Ways to Increase Your Home’s Value appeared first on Gutter Helmet.